But to build emotions in the first place, it is important that you are authentic in storytelling. Therefore, basically stories are better that you have experienced yourself or at least that can empathize with emotions. Without authenticity, the story is not only implausible, it also gets boring while listening.
Emotions are only a means to make your story exciting. There are simple storytelling rules that are respected by every Hollywood production as well as by professional speakers, theater actors and cabaret artists or comedians. We will also take a look at them in the course. Nevertheless, emotions are the linchpin. In order for your storytelling to work well, you have to dare to allow your listeners a bit to allow your feelings and to clearly show them. In doing so, you are actually taking the risk that your feelings will be hurt by criticism or a blasphemous comment. But you should not think about that when preparing your story. Because you do not have to reveal everything that goes on in there, but what you say should be real.
Trigger your audience with emotions
If you smoker as a target audience z. B. warn against cigarettes, then use the last few figures on the mortality rates little. You probably also have no personal connection to lung surgery and smoker’s legs.
On the other hand, if you had to personally witness a woman lose her child – you do not even have to be that woman – then you can transfer your emotions to your audience on all sensory channels by engaging in how horrible this experience is for you was very personal. Especially negative experiences are exciting for the audience because they can learn from you how to avoid mistakes yourself. Your emotions allow you to get into the mood for the topic even though you expected something positive.
Place your visitor in the center and use your emotion to carry it along. Storytellers who see their relevance in themselves may still be so good. It will not interest anyone, except maybe their favorite environment. But nobody will care if they make it bad. Maybe there will be blasphemy or strangers. Basically, people are only interested in themselves. So, as a good storyteller, you’re not dealing with yourself, but with something much bigger that gets your listener forward. It also gives you security in your speech because you want to make a difference through your story.
Requirements for storyteller
- Tension and emotion only creates authenticity
- Authentic storytelling means being emotionally vulnerable
- Authenticity does not mean that everything is revealed, but displays real feelings when they are addressed.
- Storytellers put the listener in the spotlight by providing him with useful information as an added value and withholding himself.
- Because people are interested in themselves, a narrator must focus his attention entirely on his audience, making his own role irrelevant.
Tasks to start from scratch
- Which types of stories fit well with your business?
- What was your most exciting workday so far?
- Are there any emotional experiences with your product that made people laugh or cry?
- How did you become the personality you are and why do you fit so well into your business?